Sunday, March 30, 2008

Definitely cut from the same cloth

Well, I'd add this as an update but apparently I'm not allowed so it gets its own post.

Suderman tells us a little about himself, but before that he gives us some trenchant social analysis:

Introductions are inherently awkward, even in the very best circumstances. How does one decide what to say about him or herself without sounding pretentious, obtuse, doltish, obsessive, or just dull? And how do you then say whatever you’ve just decided on in such a way that doesn’t give away the fact that you’ve given it a good bit of thought? It’s like that great Michael Cera line in Juno, “Actually, I try really hard.” Yes, but you’re never supposed to let on!

On the other hand, introductions are also an integral part of most important social activities — business, friendship, house parties. Barring any strong Unabomberesque proclivities, you’ll have a rough time in life without introductions. And since Megan has asked us to make them, I feel obliged. So here are a few informational tidbits. (Feel free to use them as talking points.)

Still there? Yeah, I fell asleep, too. While I slept, I had a nightmare that someone with a pretentious and boring writing style was lecturing me on some trite observation of face to face interaction that everyone has already come to on their own and trying to apply it to blogging.

I woke up screaming. I looked at my screen and started screaming some more. It was fucking horrifying.

In his next post, the douchebag shows us how brilliant he is by pointing out that the internet is new. He then speaks of how old media are like nobles and new media are like serfs. Self aggrandizing much? Of course, that doesn't make sense at all because serfs were taken out of bondage and given equal rights, whereas new media didn't exist, and now does. that's like drawing an analogy between discovering the new world and abolishing slavery, ie FUCKING RETARDED.

Oh lord, two posts in and I'm already cursing in all capital letters. This is going to be a strenuous 5 days.

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Megan.

UPDATE:

Oh yeah, and I'd comment on this Drezner fellow, but I've used up all my "you're not funny jokes" on McDrole, so he gets a by.

5 comments:

brad said...

It won't let you update my posts? That's odd. I could have sworn M. has added to my posts in the past.

NutellaonToast said...

nope, unless I'm just too stupid to figure it out.

Anonymous said...

Who'd she get to replace her, the Three Doorknobs of the Apocalypse?

Anonymous said...

"How does one decide what to say about him or herself without sounding pretentious, obtuse, doltish, obsessive, or just dull?"

Um, in any way other than you just did, sir. Please look up the word "inherently" in the dictionary when you have a moment. Introductions are actually quite easy. "Hi. I'm Steve. I like raquetball and sushi. My favorite band is ELO and I own a poodle I like to call 'the Fluffmeister.'"

See?

M. Bouffant said...

Naw, one can only update one's own items, unless one is the founding editor, in which case nothing can stop one.

I hope I never meet "Steve."