Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Return of Grammar Boy, Or: What a Difference a Comma Can Make

Megan sez:

Ta-Nehisi Coates is going to be joining the blogging team at The Atlantic. I've made no secret of my belief that he's one of the most brilliant new bloggers out there, as well as a great person in realspace, so I'm pretty thrilled to welcome him aboard.
Please. please, please, Ms. McArdle, I'm begging you, don't ever type "realspace" again. "Real life," "in person," "in the flesh," "when we're hanging out & he's kissing my ass in order to get his typing into The Atlantic," fine, but not "realspace." Was your English major in writing for video games?

Mr. Coates will be replacing "Matt," as he is known around the Atlantic water cooler, &, apparently, throughout cyberspace.

And here's a sample:
For what we do, in our way of thinking, there really isn't anyone better than Matt. Anyway, I know I'm not the most reliable lefty, and a lot of you have beef with me from time to time. But I do try to shoot straight guys. It's really all I know how to do.
Emphasis mine. Meaning that either Mr. Coates is at about the same skill & ego level as McMegan ("I'm perfect. I don't have to proof anything I've ever written. Nyah!") or that all he is capable of doing is attempting to murder or at least maim straight guys!! And, that he enjoys sharing an occasional 'burger (we assume) w/ his readers. Sign me up for some of that, Mr. One of the Most Brilliant New Bloggers Out There!! (As opposed to the "brilliant new bloggers" inside Megan's head, or wherever not "out there" is.)

P. S.: As "not the most reliable lefty," he's just about perfect to replace "Matt," at The Atlantic or anywhere in realspace. (See how stooopid that is?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He likes to shoot straight guys? Does that mean he doesn't shoot gays?

M. Bouffant said...

It's all he knows how to do, so I'll assume gay people are safe near him.