Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Telling Paragraph

Stupid body. In China, I snapped awake at 4 am every morning, and nodded off during dinner--the first night I apparently gave a rather impassioned defense of American exceptionalism that I (blissfully) can't quite remember. Now I'm back in the states, I can't get to sleep before about 3:30 even with the help of Ambien. This was tolerable over the weekend, when I didn't have to get up for work. But you can imagine how chipper I was this morning.
Can we now assume that many of Megan's posts (like her "rather impassioned defense of American exceptionalism") are written under the influence of Ambien, & she has no more memory/knowledge of them than if she were to snack/drive/whatever while unconscious & even less reasoning than usual?

Maybe she should leave the car at her sister's until she gets off the stuff.
This morning I spent twenty minutes looking for my car keys, before remembering that I'd parked the car up at my sister's house while I was away.
Elements of Style:©:
4 am every morning
Not to be confused w/ four a.m. every evening, or four p.m. every morning.

9 comments:

Susan of Texas said...

Can you imagine going to a foreign country and dronging on about how we're inherently better than anyone else to your hosts?

Is the New America Foundation sure they want this woman as their representative?

Susan of Texas said...

heh--droning

Quicksand said...

It must be tough, being the only working person who has ever had to travel from the US to China and back.

NutellaonToast said...

I remember having jet lag once. I posted on facebook about it. The Atlantic picked it up freelance and I ended up getting 200 bucks for the piece.

NutellaonToast said...

oh shit, actually reading it is giving me "time difference senility"

"My body is really rather remarkably set on its circadian rhythms. I normally get up at the same time every day, regardless of how late I was up the night before. And when it's time to sleep, I go to sleep."

How does she stay up late, then????

Downpuppy said...

She takes a pill to stay awake.

Megan takes a pill for everything.

duuh.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

American exceptionalism = It's not torture when we do it!
~

Clever Pseudonym said...

Megan,
Stop using the word "rather" so damn much. It just makes you look like a pretentious douche.

Thanks,
Me

Anonymous said...

I wake up at dawn most days, but that's not something I'd describe as being "rather remarkably." She's so fascinated by her own mechanical functions that she's three posts away from telling us how she's "surprisingly regular" and her urine is "amazingly clear and amber."