Monday, October 6, 2008

Damn, she's good

Megan sez:

As I write this, the dow is down 430 points, below 10,000 for the first time in four years. [My emphasis]
The NYTimes sez:
The Dow Jones industrials finished more than 360 points lower, dropping below the 10,000 mark for the first time in five years, as markets around the world spiraled downward in the face of a banking crisis that has tightened its grip on the global economy. [Again, my emphasis]
It's good to know we can rely on Megan to have a firm grasp of the facts and to double check her work in a time of crisis.
Does this mean girls are bad at math, Megan?

More to come.

Update:

Wow. It pains me greatly to say, but it appears Megan was right and the Times was wrong, so I was more or less wrong by extension. I could have checked for myself, I suppose.
I'm dismayed that the Times would make such an error.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I really hate that people use the DJIA for anything. Why not the S&P? It is so random and to me, something akin to curve fitting. Kraft Foods, Bank of America, Chevron were not on DJIA back in 2003 but they now, so is 10,000 now the same as 10,000 then?

Also why 10,000 and not 9,500 or some other arbitrary number? Does 10,000 actually mean anything? Oh well.

Technically, though the DOW did dip below 10,000 4 years ago (Oct 17, 2004 for example).

Regards,
SV