Wednesday, January 9, 2008

How to recognize different types of trees from quite a long way away

No. 1, the larch.

the larch

No. 2, Megan and Matt,

Matt notices something that struck me last night:
It's interesting how much more interested the press seems to be in the Democratic race than in the GOP one. When after Iowa there was tons of attention showered on Barack Obama and nothing on Huckabee, I figured that was just part of the vast pro-McCain conspiracy. But after the media got the McCain victory it was hoping for, there's still more talk about the Democratic result.

The thing of it is that the Republican race is really much more interesting. It's a bigger field of semi-viable contenders and it's very unpredictable. What's more, there appears to be much more separating the Republican nominees from each other in terms of policy and approach -- Mike Huckabee is really, really different from Rudy Giuliani. My feeling has kind of been that I, personally, tend to focus on the Democratic field perhaps a bit more than it deserves because I'm a liberal and I've got a mostly liberal audience, but actually it seems that everyone is playing it my way and I'm not really sure why.
I don't want to go out on a limb here or anything, but I think it might just have something to do with the fact that 99% of the reporters covering the election are planning to vote Democratic. Just a thought.
Megan.... and.... Matt.
Just pause for a moment, and savor that opening phrase. "Matt notices something that struck me last night". Megan was an english major, so she must mean what she said, and apparently Matt posted about finding a pinecone that bounced off Megan as it fell to the ground last night.
Also, I don't want to go out on a limb here or anything, but even presuming M&M are correct in their perception of a coverage bias, aren't there more rational explanations for it than fecking liberal media bias? Like, say, the fact both Repub races so far were called early in the evening while the Dem contests took much longer to sort out, or that the Democrats are overwhelming favorites to win in November? Just some thoughts.

4 comments:

NutellaonToast said...

Yeah, I go off on her in the comments on this one too. Amazing. I mean, I've never agreed with her but she used to strike me as a somewhat sensible conservative. Now she's actually posted about the left wing conspiracy. Simple question, if what she said is true, why has a republican primary ever, in the history of wingnut bullshittery, received ANY coverage at all? Oh, silly me, using logic and an ability to recall past events.

brad said...

I'm jealous of your ability to get her to directly engage you, and amused that she let you call her a conservative unchallenged.

NutellaonToast said...

yeah, I was shocked at that too.

spencer said...

Just a thought

That was best kept to yourself, McMoron.

Geez - is the entire Northwest DC journo-wonk community as superficial and as vacuous as she is?

Wait, don't answer that . . .