Friday, August 28, 2009

Oy Vey

Megan McArdle (Replying to: nickzi) August 28, 2009 9:55 AM

Well, I'm a libertarian, and I don't think that important civil rights get protected, or not, on the basis of whether your government, or even your fellow citizens, thinks you "really need them".

But I don't take these folks to be saying anything about health care. I'm sure if you look in that crowd, you will find signs about all sorts of things, because hey, Americans don't all care about the same stuff. I took them to be demonstrating in favor of the second amendment.

Go back to the Democrat who came to protest in favor of healthcare reform, with a sign, and also in favor of the second amendment, with a gun? Are you arguing that what he was really trying to do was signal his willingness to shoot people who disagree with him? Should conservatives be terrified for their lives?
So they're protesting about an issue that's not at all relevant to the peaceful public meetings they're bringing LOADED FIREARMS to. And the fact that some asshole on the left felt that the threat of armed opponents meant he should escalate things and give the paranoid fantasists more ammo for their delusions means, retroactively, that they're right to come armed.
Megan views guns the way french chefs view butter and chocolate; there's nothing in the world that can't be improved by adding one or both.
I wonder how Megan would take it if pro choice counter protesters showed up to anti-abortion rallies packing heat.

1 comment:

arguingwithsignposts said...

"Well, I'm a libertarian"

She brings this up quite a bit, like she has to keep reminding herself.

I don't go around prefacing statements with "well, I'm a liberal/progressive."