Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Election Night Jive Blogging

On occasion, when reviewing my own output, I bemoan that I don't turn a simile or metaphor as others do. Although the more I read ( libraries, & the Borders Books Mucus Movies & A Cafe whence I was fired for mentioning that I might kill someone - oh, irony - are swell places for the unhoused to hang, so I've been reading a lot of drivel recently) the less I worry about it. And then I see simile & metaphor like these:

[I]t's like watching a World Poker Tour comprised entirely of librarians drawing to inside straights. At this point, her most likely winning strategy seems to be arranging for Sirhan Sirhan to get out on work-release.
Not knowing squat about poker, I assume inside straights are dull. (Librarians aren't. I've been looking at many of them recently, as I mentioned.) But what does the Sirhan Sirhan thing even mean? If The Great McGonigle realizes it's unlikely that SS would be released, how is that Clinton's most likely winning strategy? What. The. Fug.

On a more positive note, this was almost amusing:

The questions no one is asking
Which way did the Amish go?
Not to disagree w/ commenter (here & there) Margalis, but I did agree w/ virtually everything in this post. I'm just willing to take it farther, nihilistically.

Is this "aMouseforallSeasons" anonymouse posting under a different name in a last-ditch attempt to get its crummy music on the radioso as not to be further connected w/ Internet thuggery? Either way, you could cut the irony w/ a not very sharp object. Get this:
All in the interest of keeping Megan's comments section from degenerating into a casual conversation based on interesting anecdotes and candid personal observations, y'see.
Mouse, if the posts themselves are "based on interesting anecdotes and candid personal observations," why expect more from the commenters?

And read the comments here. They are all over our poor Muse, for the usual inaccuracies, etc. It almost sounded like a plea for public financing of elections. Almost.

That's it for this wk., my fellow Americans. The library's closing, & it's down Westwood Blvd. to the local Borders 'til eviction @ 2300.

5 comments:

NutellaonToast said...

Inside straights are boring, they just don't usually work. The idea is that you have 4 cards you need out of a 5 card straight, and the one you need is in the middle. eg 4578, so you need a 6 or you have no hand.

This is as opposed to an open ended straight draw, which is four cards in a row, eg 4567, so either a 3 or an 8 gets you astraight. It is conventional wisdom not to play inside straight draws byt open ended straight draws are worth it if the bet isn't too big.

Margalis said...

Fire M. Bouffant ;)

My objection was to her claim that she was defying the conventional wisdom when she was actually repeating it.

I think "none of this matters so we'll do whatever we want" is very dangerous logic to buy into, because it literally justifies anything.

Anonymous said...

The Sirhan Sirham joke is a convoluted way to express that Hillary's best chance is Obama being assassinated. Tasteless and inartfully presented, but not actually false.

--arthur

M. Bouffant said...

Margalis, I think everything she said about elections & candidates is true.

And now I get that you mean the "media" are treating the whole mess as they do therefore. But the "media" still won't admit that the whole thing is a joke & nothing said or done on the trail really means anything once someone gets in office.

Anonymous said...

и всё эе: превосходно!! а82ч